Serving Size: 8
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons chopped thyme (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large non-reactive skillet, sauté the onion in butter, till softened but not browned. Add the red wine, balsamic vinegar, thyme, honey, coriander, allspice, and salt and black pepper to taste.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is syrupy, stirring occasionally. Serve hot as a topping for steaks or hamburgers.
(from Starting with Ingredients)